A woman should never have to compromise beauty for health.
Did you know that the average woman applies hundreds of chemicals to her skin each day? These penetrate your skin and make their way into your body and brain in a matter of minutes, disrupting your hormones and creating inflammation in the body.
And our babies can't avoid this either, researchers have analysed the umbilical cord blood of newborn infants and detected an average of 200 industrial chemicals known to be toxic.* They are born this way, even before anything touches their skin!
"Researchers have analysed the umbilical cord blood of newborn infants and detected an average of 200 industrial chemicals known to be toxic."
So what does all this mean? There's only a small amount of chemicals within each product right?
Yes that's right, but multiply that small amount by the number of products you use each day, and then by the number of years that you've used those products.
Some of the most common ones for example are toothpastes, moisturisers, soaps, shampoos, deodorants, perfumes, and of course makeup.
The toxic build up from these chemicals over the years within your body causes inflammation, which can then lead to various health issues such as allergies, asthma, skin conditions, fertility issues, digestive issues, obesity, diabetes, behavioural and cognitive issues, through to the more serious autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's, Crohn's, Celiac, Psoriasis, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Alzheimer's. This is just the tip of the iceberg, we haven't even mentioned the potential big ones - cancer and heart disease.
No thanks. Not for me. Not for my family. Not for my babies.
I will do everything I can to reduce this risk, and this is why I'm talking to you here right now, to educate you, to inspire you that there is another way, and to show you how you can do this too.
Make the switch to natural makeup.
This is where switching over to natural products can make a big difference. Especially those products that you use every single day as mentioned before, and for the ladies a big one is...makeup.
The first step is to start researching the ingredients within all of your beauty products. You can't just rely on reading the labels though, the cosmetics industry isn't as regulated as the food industry, so even most beauty products labelled "natural" are full of toxic ingredients, cheap fillers and nanoparticles.
Less than 20% of all chemicals in cosmetics have been assessed for safety by the industry's safety panel^! Some of these ingredients, such as Lead which is a known carcinogen that causes cancer, don't even have to be listed on the label...crazy right?
I encourage you to research these yourself, the Environmental Working Group's (EWG's) Skin Deep Database is a great resource to get started.
Still not convinced about why you don't want these in your makeup? Check out this 8 minute video about "The story of cosmetics" that will teach you all about what's in common household products and WHY we need to choose non-toxic alternatives. Here's the Video transcript.
So let's clean up your makeup bag shall we?
"I believe you shouldn't have to compromise your beauty for health, nor compromise your health for beauty."
* “The Pollution in Newborns", a 2006 study from Mt. Sinai Medical Centre and Environmental Working Group (EWG).
^ Based on an Environmental Working Group assessment of chemical review lists published by the Cosmetics Ingredients Review (CIR) panel, the industry funded panel that is charged with assessing the safety of ingredients in cosmetics, as of January 2010 assessed 1,594 cosmetic ingredients for safety, out of the 12,500 ingredients that FDA estimates are used in cosmetics.
Savvy Minerals makeup, it's different from other brands, here's why.
You shouldn’t have to compromise your health for beauty.
Savvy Minerals by Young Living™ products are developed with an unwavering standard of purity and quality, giving you a full variety of beauty products formulated with ingredients you can feel fabulous about. Savvy Minerals products contain these high-quality ingredients:
- Young Living™ Essential Oils
- High-quality minerals
- Aspen bark extract
- Mica, kaolin clay, jojoba oil, aloe
- Non-nano ingredients
- Naturally derived ingredients
- Cruelty free, vegan friendly (except for lip products)
- Gluten free
You should always feel confident about what you are putting on your skin. You’ll never find these ingredients in your Savvy Minerals makeup bag:
- Bismuth - resembles arsenic chemically which is extremely toxic to human health and causes skin irritation. It's usually used as a cheap filler and it creates the shimmer in makeup, and allows the makeup to "stick" to your skin and last all day.
- Talc - may contain asbestos, a known carcinogen.
- Parabens - mimics estrogen and potential hormone disruptors.
- Phthalates - endocrine disruptors and linked to risk of breast cancer and reproductive birth defects.
- Petrochemicals (e.g. mineral oil) - a liquid by-product of refining crude oil to make gasoline and other petroleum products.
- Lead - a known carcinogen (causes cancer!).
- Mercury - a known neurotoxin that severely damages the nervous, digestive and immune systems, lungs, kidneys, skin and eyes.
- Nanoparticles - penetrates the skin where they can alter cell DNA. They accumulate and cause serious health issues as the body cannot remove these foreign particles.
- Synthetic fragrance, synthetic colorants, or cheap synthetic fillers
The Savvy Minerals makeup range
Are you ready to see the range? Mineral foundation powders, eyeshadows, eyeliners, blushes, bronzers, veil, lip glosses, lipsticks and high quality brushes are all available.
In Australia, the image below shows all the products that have been released so far. There is more to come including additional brushes, eyeshadows, lipsticks and mascara!
Just a quick note on the 'Misting Spray'. It's made with pure essential oils, trace minerals, and entirely plant-based ingredients and gives you more thorough foundation coverage, all while nourishing and freshening your skin. You simply spray your foundation brush 1-3 times before picking up the mineral foundation. If you order a foundation, then make sure you also order the misting spray for an absolutely flawless finish!
You can also use the misting spray on your eyeshadow brush and use with the eyeshadows. It helps the pigment to bond together so it gives you a REALLY deep dimension of the colours, and it really stays on well! It basically doubles the number of shades of eyeshadows, let your creativity run wild.
I was blown away about how affordable they were for such a conscious and chemical free makeup range! Eyeshadows are AUD$25 wholesale price or AUD$32.50 retail, and foundations are AUD$59.95 wholesale price or AUD$78.90 retail. And if you get a foundation be sure to add the essential-oil infused Misting Spray to your order, you use this to give you a flawless application by spraying it onto the brush before applying!
You too can get access to wholesale prices (which is 24% off the retail price) so read below on how to order and find out how.
If you're from the U.S or Europe, extra products are available including eyeshadows, foundation, lipsticks, lipglosses, brushes and mascara (these will become available to the Australian market in the future). Savvy Minerals will also be launched into other countries eventually - so hang in there, the wait is worth it!
How to order
- Go to the Young Living website or click the green button below.
- Select your country and check that my member number 2087425 is pre-filled as the referrer.
- Select "Member" as the membership type**.
- Enjoy a 24% discount off retail prices and access wholesale prices onthe entire Young Living product range.
- No minimum spend or monthly orders required.
- No selling or promoting of Young Living products required, all products can be used for your own personal or family's use.
- Maintain your wholesale account by simply placing a 50PV (~AUD$80) at least once every 12 months, NO yearly renewal fees!
- Choose your starter kit. I recommend one of the Basic Starter Kits from AUD$59~. If you're in the U.S. or Europe you can select the Savvy Minerals Premium Starter Kit!
- Choose the Savvy Minerals products, or any of Young Living's other products, and add to your order.
- Complete details and orders will arrive within 2-4 business days to major cities within Australia!
** Retail Customers pay the recommended retail price and don't get the 24% discounted wholesale prices. If you'd like to order only 1 or 2 products this option may suit you, although most people either start, or convert over to a wholesale member.
^^ The Essential Rewards loyalty program is free to join and cancel at any time, and allows a great way to earn free products while you to build up a collection of essential oils or replace all those chemicals in your house. This program requires a minimum order of 50PV (~AUD$80) per month and gives you access to discounted shipping, earning rewards points (from 10% up to 25% of your order) which you can then redeem for free products of your choice, and access to uniquely designed and discounted Essential Rewards Kits (e.g. nutrition, kids, beauty, animal, emotional, cleaning, culinary).
~ The Basic Starter Kits include your wholesale membership, and also a StressAway essential oil blend, Thieves Waterless Hand Purifier, NingXia Red antioxidant superjuice samples plus more. The Culinary Basic Starter Kit for AUD$62 includes all this plus a 5ml Orange and 5m Lemon essential oil.
A number of Premium Starter Kits are available too which include the Basic Starter Kit and wholesale membership and start from AUD$259. These contain items from Young Living's other product lines including therapeutic grade essential oils and diffusers, NingXia Red antioxidant superjuice and the Thieves household cleaning and personal care range.
If you'd like information on any of these please see the how to get started page, or contact me and we'll work out the best choice for you.