It has been a long time since I stepped onto school grounds - and this weekend (2nd August2 2014) I was given the opportunity to do a cooking demo at the Kenmore South State School Country Fair! So I set up in the main hall in front of centre stage, and cooked up a quick, healthy and delicious meal :-)
This is a great grain-free/gluten-free/diary-free meal for those with any intolerances, and most people can’t tell (or just love!) that it’s only cauliflower that’s used to create the ‘rice’. So a great way to get extra veggies into a meal, and the options are really endless with what you can create. In this demo I opted for an Italian flavour where I used some Chorizo, kalamata olives, tomatoes and fresh thyme.
Hope you enjoy the recipe :-)
- 1 Chorizo (optional)
- 1 onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- ½ cauliflower
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup spinach
- ¼ cup fresh Italian-style herbs (e.g. basil, thyme, oregano) 1 drop of one of Young Living Basil/Thyme/Oregano Essential Oil
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Himalayan salt & pepper
- Slice the Chorizo on an angle into ½ cm slices, and finely chop the onion and garlic.
- Add a few tablespoons of olive oil into a pan on medium heat, and sauté the Chorizo, onion and garlic for about 5 until the Chorizo is slightly browned and the onion is translucent.
- Use a food processor or finely chop the cauliflower into the size of rice grains. Finally chop the olives and cherry tomatoes in half, and roughly chop the spinach and herbs.
- Add the cauliflower, olives, cherry tomatoes, spinach, and herbs (or the essential oil at end of cooking) to the pan for about 5-10 minutes until the cauliflower is slightly softened but still has a ‘rice’ texture.
- Add in salt and pepper to taste, and drizzle some extra olive oil over meal if desired.