My family has already requested that I make this delicious (but healthy!) dessert for Christmas! On a hot day there’s nothing more refreshing than this, and it’s also grain-free, gluten-free , egg-free and dairy-free so most people are able to tolerate this.
You can also change the flavours by using a different combination of nuts, and also play around with your favourite flavours of fruit, essential oils or citrus zest. For example, mango with lime (zest or essential oil) is really refreshing and a chocolate (and orange zest or essential oil) version using raw cacao is always popular ;-)
- 1/2 cup almonds (pecan or walnuts will also work)
- 1/2 cup pitted dates (e.g. Mejool dates)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews (soaked for at least 5 hours or overnight)
- Juice of 2 lemons or 15-20 drops Young Living Lemon Essential Oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) or fresh berries (e.g. blueberries, raspberries)
- For the crust place nuts and dates in a food processor with salt and pulse to chop until they are to your desired fineness (process a finer crust longer than a chunky one).
- Test the crust by spooning out a small amount of mixture and rolling it in your hands. If the ingredients hold together, your crust is perfect.
- Scoop out crust mixture in a round spring-form pan and press firmly, making sure that the edges are well packed and that the base is relatively even throughout.
- Put the crust into the freezer and rinse food processor well ready to make the filling.
- For the filling, if required, warm coconut oil and honey/maple syrup in a small saucepan on low heat until liquid and whisk to combine.
- In the most powerful food processor/blender you own place all filling ingredients (except berries) and blend on high until very smooth (this make take a couple minutes so be patient). If using essential oils add a handful at a time until you reach your desired taste, a little goes a long way!
- Pour about 2/3 of the mixture out onto the crust and smooth with a spatula.
- Add the berries to the remaining filling and blend on high until smooth. Pour onto the first layer of filling.
- Place cheesecake in freezer until solid.
- To serve, remove from freezer 30 minutes prior to eating. Then run a smooth, sharp knife under hot water and cut into slices. Serve on its own, or with fresh fruit and store any leftovers (if there is any!) in the freezer.