As a mum, I try to use natural products to support my family and I during winter or seasonal changes - as my first option. After finding out the number of nasty ingredients that are in so many of the products I used - I was on the hunt for a healthy, but effective, alternative.
And I've found some.
There are 2 essential oil blends in particular that I love to use, and you can alternate these within the recipes I have below. In addition to this, I also use these oils in the following ways:
- Apply them to the soles of our feet (dilute for babies). This is one of the best way to apply the oils as they absorb into the body super quickly!
- Pop them into your ultrasonic diffuser and defend and protect yourself before going to bed.
Thieves is a powerful blend that includes Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus Radiata and Rosemary.
RC is an invigorating blend of 3 types of Eucalyptus (Globulus, Radiata, Citriodora), Myrtle, Marjoram, Pine , Lavender, Cypress, Northern Lights Black Spruce and Peppermint.
My favourite carrier oils to use with this are coconut oil, fractionated coconut oil (MCT oil) and jojoba oil. Just pick your favourite, and if it gets <24 degrees Celsius in winter then just make sure you don't pop coconut oil into a roll-on bottle as it will solidify, so just grab a small glass jar instead ;-)
The below recipe is for you to pre-make these so you have them pre-diluted and ready for use when you need it quickly, but you can also just apply the carrier oil and essential oil directly to your skin instead based on the dilution guidelines below.
- 10 drops Thieves Essential Oil
- 10 drops RC Essential Oil
- 5ml (1 teaspoon) carrier oil
- Glass roll-on bottle or small glass jar
- Add the essential oils to the bottle or jar
- Add the carrier oil
- Mix well and ready to rub onto chest
To find out more about essential oils check out how to use them here.
Note on dilution
These recipes can be used for both adults and kids, but more dilution is generally needed for babies and kids. If you’re not getting the desired effect within ~10 minutes just re-apply (and you may then like to add more essential oils to your pre-diluted bottle). As a general guide:
- Ages 0-1: 1 drop essential oil to 8 drops carrier oil
- Ages 2-6: 1 drop essential oil to 3 drops carrier oil
- Ages 7-11: 1 drop essential oil to 1 drop carrier oil
- Ages 12+: Full labeled concentration (for some oils applied undiluted, some diluted)
For more information please see: https://www.youngliving.com/blog/guide-to-diluting-essential-oils-for-kids-and-babies/